Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Why can't people use their DELETE key?

Is it that hard?

I get a LOT of e-mail...seriously, about 250 to 300 messages a day...

Some of it's self-inflicted...i.e., I subscribe to group mailing lists for the following:

Fragile X Syndrome
New Jersey Fragile X
NJ DDD
Special Education Issues
Rick Springfield (let's get real....a girl needs a diversion)
Scrap Booking

All those lists are about 2/3 of my mail....and I scan them all, delete most, save some, reply to some as I wish.

Then I get mail from individuals...and I reply to them all...no matter what...it's like calling someone back when they call you...I try to get to each one in a timely fashion too.

Then...I blog (duh) and I get comments from people who read this blog (which I LOVE to get). I Facebook (which involves e-mail and messages left on my page)

I also get mail as the co-president of the town's special ed PTO....separate e-mail address from my personal one. I read and respond to them....daily.

I subscribe to some stores lists....I get coupons that way....GAP, Banana Republic, Coach, Ann Taylor, Norstrom.....

Then I get the daily prayer chains...funny pictures...snopes tales, poems, quips, you know...and then there's SPAM...I read them all (not the SPAM) , but rarely pass them on.

E-mail is part of my life....

I personally took offense this morning when I got an e-mail from a friend ( a close friend for over 25 years) who ordered me to stop (that was the subject of the e-mail) suggesting fellow (former) High School friends to her on Facebook.

Ummmm.....I think you can easily hit the IGNORE button if you don't want to be their "FRIEND"...I manage to when necessary.

I was totally taken aback...purely offended...accompanying the e-mail was the underlying tone that perhaps I have too much time on my hands that I can find the time to be "friends" with people on Facebook.

Well....I spent the better part of my day annoyed, thanks. Imagine that someone thinks I have time on my hands!!!! WOW...I must be better at acting not overwhelmed than I thought!

Do you know how much stuff I get that I DELETE??????? I would NEVER....EVER....ask a friend of mine to NOT send me things.... I JUST HIT THE FRIGGIN DELETE BUTTON.

This is the second time for this friend to ask me to not send things her way...a couple years ago, it was to please not forward any kind of chain mail....memes, 20 questions, etc....she didn't like them.

Again, why can't you just hit delete????? We all have anti-virus software today....obviously, I'm not going to send you anything offensive or virus contaminated....so what's the big friggin deal??????

SHEEESH!








Blogged with the Flock Browser

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I totally get ya. It took longer for her to send that email than it would to hit delete. Maybe she was just having a really crappy day that today. I'd email her back as nice as can be and ask if she is having a tough day and if there is anything you could do to help :). Kill them with kindness.

Aim said...

I'm not afraid of my delete button. Sorry you had to get caught up in somebody else's bad mood!

Anonymous said...

Too Bad... I always worry when i send/forward things on to people, but i never care when I get them, i too get over 300 emails a day, and I hit delete, or really just filter and file, as I am a bit of an email pack-rat.

Umma said...

I am going to confess to sending an e-mail to someone I love asking them to stop sending me chain mail. And I was having a very bad day when I did it. I was getting 20-30 of those messages/day from this person and it was a bit irritating and then one bad day I lost my temper and sent off the message. Luckily she was my sister and she had to forgive me. E-mail just makes it too easy sometimes to lash out when we normally wouldn't :-(

KC said...

WOW! I'm all about the delete key. Its one of my favorite keys. :) You know me, I'd just email/forward a whole bunch of jumk mail. But then I'm evil like that. LOL I personally would NEVER ask someone to stop sending things. That's what delete and Nortons is for. Hugs my friend.

fragilemom said...

I'm a delete girl myself. I don't think I've ever told someone NOT to send me stuff, but I have told several (mainly family members) that I delete most of what they send (if it's a chain, forward, etc.) and never even read it. But between you and me (and all who read this comment)I do occastionally get one that's worth reading.