Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Avalon...Cooler By a Mile

So...as long as I can recall, Avalon, NJ always had this slogan "Cooler By A Mile" attached to it.





After spending last week there with the boys....I truly get it now! That's Ben in the ocean.




It was, by far, the most relaxing place for us. It had nice people, great beaches, great playgrounds...great places to eat or take out, GREAT shopping...though my favorite store, People People, is actually in Stone Harbor, the next town over. I've been going to Avalon ever since I can remember, but sadly, this was the first time I really was able to appreciate it for the place it is.






Ben asked to go the playground almost hourly, so we spent a lot of time there. Matthew, who is NOT a playground kid, was more than happy to oblige his brother, because that's who he is....a good brother.

While my boys played on the playground, I was so grateful that they have each other. Most of the other children there were whining, fighting with their siblings over who was going down the slide first. My boys were caught up in their own simplistic 2 person edition of duck, duck , goose. It was truly priceless. I was able to sit on the bench and just watch them. That's not the norm for me. I'm usually the mom on top of her kid for fear he's going to have a meltdown, or that another kid might be mean to him, or that he might fall and hurt himself. I was happy to see my boys more self-sufficient while playing. Imagine that!







This is more Matty..relaxing listening to Mommy's iPod...such a lazy bones jones!





Also, see his hat? Anthony tried for the past 10 years to make him a NY Mets fan....and Matty would play along, but then it happened. All it takes is a peer to sway you in a different direction. Matty has a friend who has been his classmate since 1st grade, who is a HUGE NY Yankees fan, and always gives Matty something Yankees related. Well, it finally rubbed off, and Matty is all about the Yankees. He told his dad that he want to go to Yankee Stadium to see the Yankees play the Philadelphia Phillies (thanks, Grandpa Mario).


A good time was had by the 3 of us....Grandma Dina and Aunt Nicole were along for the ride....Grandpa Mario, Uncle Claudio and Daddy stayed Saturday through Monday, and we stayed until the following Saturday.


Stay tuned for more Fragile X Awareness Day News (July 22nd) as it's quickly approaching!
Happy 4th of July!

2 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

What a cool trip! I know what you mean about following the kids around when they play on the playground. I have just recently realized that they are pretty capable without me "hovering". Your boys are so handsome!

Unknown said...

Paula I truly love to read about you and your family. My Mattchoo man is soooooo handsome. Ben is of course handsome as well. YOU LOOK AMAZING. Say hi to Anthony for us