Thursday, September 6, 2007



Well, Dad and the boys survived the first day of school! Dad even managed to take some nice pictures of the boys! Where was mom? WORKING!!! Yep, I finally missed out on one of those quintessential moments of being a parent...the first day of school. I felt guilty for about 45 minutes while I was driving to work...but Dad is more than capable and willing to help out in these situations, and sometimes it's best for all involved if I take a step back. Mom can't do it all, all the time, can she?

I did, however, manage to have both boys lunch and snack ready to go (@5:45am before I left), so that dad would only have to worry about getting them dressed, breakfast and taking pictures.

In the few days before school, I had their backpacks ready with supplies, both boys had their folders already full of information that their mommy wanted the teachers to know about Fragile X Syndrome, their summer, etc...behavior modifications for each of them, tips and tricks for the teachers, Matty's meds, Ben's change of clothes....let's just say, I may have been working when they left for school, but I left my mark on everything about that morning!

The paperwork that came home yesterday that had to be filled out for EACH of them was truly overwhelming...my hand hurt when I went to bed last night...and let's not forget that on Wednesdays my Mary Kay unit meets from 7-9...so I was out for a bit too. What a day!

Both boys came home with exceptional reports from their teachers. Ben went to school in underwear (vs. a pull-up) since last Saturday we decided that 6 months in pull-ups was enough,,,he was keeping himself dry all the time, it was totally my not wanting to take that big boy leap with my baby that held him up! :-( Happy to report that loves his new underwear and has been dry 100% of the time, telling us exactly when he has to go...which, those of you with special children know is HUGE!

Let's hope this school year is a good and memorable one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous pictures!!

Amy Primorac said...

Aw...love the photos! And yes, totally understand the big deal of the big boy pants at school...glad everything is going so well for you guys too!

ASP

KC said...

OMG! Anthony gets MAJOR POINTS!!! MAJOR!!!!!!! Sounds like both boys are off to an awesome start of school. I LOVE the pictures of both boys getting on the school bus. That Matthew takes such good care of is brother. LOVE IT!