Thursday, May 2, 2013

Making changes

Once again, 6 months have gotten away since Amy Z asked me to blog more.

I've been wanting to make some changes, for me, as a person.  I haven't been feeling like myself, for now, what seems like forever.  I'm lethargic, tired, unmotivated, inactive...BLEH, in a word.

Don't get me wrong, I manage to get out of bed everyday and complete everything that needs to be done.  I even manage to smile during the day.  But I don't feel like Paula.

As someone who has spent the majority of her life battling food, I knew that somehow my struggles were related to weight and health.

Instead of going back to a method of dieting I had utilized before, which in my case, has always been a temporary fix, I started thinking about those times in my life when my weight wasn't at the forefront of my mind.

I was brought back to 1988.  I was a junior in college, 20 years old, living in Bologna, Italy.  Yes, the Italian way of life....more natural, less processed.  It's not really Italian, it's all over Europe.  Mediterranean.

At the same time, my mother, who still mothers me (thank goodness someone does....who knew at the age of 44 I would need it more than ever?) tells me she's concerned.  She says I look tired and unhappy.  Her concern is that I have these boys who are going to need me for a REALLY LONG time.

I'm not going to have children who do what I did....move away for college, move to a big city, get a job, find a spouse, buy a house...you get the picture.  I have to take as much responsibility as I can to make sure I'm as healthy as I can be, so that my boys can have me around for as long as possible.

So, when my mom gives me this packet about a "cleanse," I don't roll my eyes at her like I normally would.  Instead, I promise her I will look into it and consider it.

Let's fast forward.  I'm on Day 7 of this Rapid K Cleanse.  I've been alternating between 2 days of cabbage, carrots and green apples, and then 2 days of organic whole milk (24 oz. a day).  Everything I consume must be consumed between 11 am and 6pm.  I'm completely amazed as how I am able to do this.  I really thought I'd faint from lack of calories on day 1.  Ha!  I've never felt better.

So, this is Phase 1.  There are 4 phases total, this being the most brutal.  The rest should be easy breezy for me, since this one isn't that miserable.

During the past 7 days, I've created a folder and lists of the things I'm going to incorporate to my families diet once I finish my cleanse.  We are all going to eat "clean"....without being maniacal about it.  Kids, gradually and with limits, but me and the husband....yeah, it's going to be different around here.

While I have always done some of the right things, as far as clean eating goes, over the last 20 years since I've been married, I've slipped a little bit each year.  Time to regain that control.  It's soooo much easier now to eat clean in the US than it was 20 years ago.  I'm looking forward to it!  I've recently found some blogs and sites for clean eating, or non-GMO eating.  I've also gotten an e-subscription to Clean Eating magazine, and I'm really really excited!

You can easily see my "before" pictures on my Facebook page....anything taken in the last 10 years really qualifies.  Once I complete the 4 phases of Rapid K.....I promise to post an "after"

Wish me luck!

xoxo
Paula


No comments: